Heart of Orléans BIA

 613.617.0608 / 613.899.8442
logo

Explore The Heart of Orléans

Restaurants, Shops and Services in Orléans, Ottawa

Provincial Bank of Canada

Thank you SFOPHO for always keeping us informed about Orléans history!!!

It was 100 years ago, in 1920, that Orléans welcomed its first bank.The Provincial Bank of Canada was headquartered in Montréal and first opened in the centre of the village of Orléans, in the home of Ménésippe Charbonneau. His daughter, Rosanna Charbonneau, became its first manager.

In 1948, the bank, then simply a subsidiary of the Rockland branch, moved into the home of Élodie (Major) Richer, located just east of the house of the “verger” (an official in a church who acts as a caretaker and attendant). Late in the 19th century, this building was constructed of red brick in classical cottage style with Victorian influence. With its counter and safe as furniture, the bank occupied the large living room at the front of the house. In the next room, a staircase led to the second floor, and at the back, the house extended into a large kitchen.

The bank remained at this location until 1967. In 1979, it merged with the Canadian National Bank to become the National Bank of Canada.

C’est en 1920 qu’Orléans accueilli sa première institution bancaire, soit la Banque Provinciale du Canada, dont le siège social était à Montréal. Elle occupa d’abord la maison de Ménésippe Charbonneau, au centre du village, et sa fille Rosanna en fut la première gérante.

Simple succursale du bureau de Rockland, la Banque déménagea en 1948 dans la maison d’Elodie(Major) Richer, située sur ce site juste à côté de la maison du bedeau, du côté est. Cette construction de briques rouges datant de la fin du XIXe siècle, était un joli cottage du style classique et d’influence victorienne.Meublée d’un comptoir et d’un coffre-fort, elle occupait le grand salon a l’avant de la maison. Dan la deuxième pièce, un escalier menait à l’étage; à l’arrière , la maison se prolongeant par une grande cuisine. La banque occupa ces lieux jusqu’en 1967. Elle fusionna en 1979 avec la Banque Canadienne Nationale pour devenir la Banque National du Canada