This question was best answered by the author of the book “Going Local”, Michael H. Shuman. “Going local does not mean walling off the outside world. It means nurturing locally owned businesses which use local resources sustainably, employ local workers at decent wages and serve primarily local consumers. It means becoming more self-sufficient and less dependent on imports. Control moves from the boardrooms of distant corporations and back into the community where it belongs.” (Shuman 2000)
Did you know that Canada has the highest percentage of consumers shopping locally? According to Statista, almost 70% of consumers in Canada shopped at local businesses (online and in store) to strengthen the local economy in 2020, during the pandemic. Orléans was very fortunate in that we had many government and crown corporation employees working from home during the pandemic. Many will continue to do so moving forward.
Have you thought about how we keep consumers shopping locally in our small businesses in Orléans?
Here are the top 8 reasons to shop, dine and obtain services at our local small businesses in the Heart of Orléans.
- Increased Employment – Small local businesses are the largest employers nationally. According to the Government of Canada, as of 2019, small businesses employed 8.4 million individuals in Canada, or 68.8 percent of the total private labour force.
- Money Kept in Orléans – When dollars are spent locally, they can in turn be re-spent locally, raising the overall level of economic activity and paying more salaries.
- Increased the Economy – This recirculation of money locally leads to an increase of economic activity. Local economic growth will attract new talent and professionals, who may, in turn, create businesses of their own, enhancing our local economy.
- Increased Community Investment – Locally owned small businesses contribute more to local charities and fundraisers than the big box stores.
- A Vibrant BIA – Spending money with local retailers helps keep the local community alive. The places where we eat, shop, and have fun all have the potential to make a community feel like home. “One-of-a-kind” businesses are a fundamental part of the distinctive character of our community.
- More Choices – Small businesses will often have unique items that the big box stores just don’t have. Research shows that entrepreneurs and skilled workers are more likely to invest and settle in communities that preserve their one-of-a-kind businesses and distinctive character with multiple consumer choices.
- Reduced Environmental Impacts – Reducing the amount of materials and products that are bought from national retail chains helps reduce your ecological footprint. Locally owned businesses can often make more local purchases requiring less transportation and producing less waste.
- Better Customer Service – The rapport that is built between a small business owner and the customer is priceless and the service received is generally better when you are known by name – not a number.
When we buy locally in the Heart of Orléans, we help create jobs for our friends and neighbors, contribute to improved public infrastructure, and invest in our community both socially and economically. Did we forget an important reason to buy local? Let us know!