About UsBIAs are self-funded, through a levy as part of a property owner’s municipal taxes. This provides the BIA with steady, secure funding for its many activities.
What is a BIA anyway?
Glad you asked. In a nutshell, the Heart of Orléans Business Improvement Area (BIA) is a not-for-profit Board of Management, started by our business community in 2008. BIAs are a way for business districts to pool resources to promote and improve the area, and speak with one common voice. We do this through advocacy and collaboration for our members, promoting the area as a district and special events, recruiting and retaining our businesses, and improving the streetscape.
If you are interested in the specifics, you can brush up with our Backgrounder.
The Heart of Orléans BIA:
- Takes a leadership role in attracting the kind of businesses that makes the Heart of Orleans distinct
- Represents the heart of the community of Orleans as the place of choice for our community to shop for specialty goods, professional services, high quality service, unique dining and entertainment, and at shops that are often local and family-run businesses
- Nurtures an engaged and enthusiastic membership that reflects and values our vibrant community
- Helps to create a beautiful, trendy destination
- Strives to reflect the unique heritage of the area as the original “main street” of Orleans, but also work to develop a modern St Joseph district as a place that is a vibrant, walkable and mixed use space.
A Vibrant District.
We are committed to continuous improvements to make our district more walkable and bike friendly, to keeping it clean and safe, to hosting events that you and your family can enjoy. We welcome you to share our vision of developing the district in a way that attracts you, the people that make our community so vibrant.
We are committed to being a strong voice for our members and representing their interests within the community, to the City of Ottawa and other levels of government. The BIA can bring forward local questions and concerns, whether they are small or larger long-term issues.
A vision for long-term economic development has many parts. Some of these include an integrated marketing and promotions strategy, improving our streetscape and the built environment, growing sectors of our business mix such as knowledge-based businesses, and actively seeking the right new businesses.
A BIA is based on the principle of stronger, together. We are committed to helping our members connect and collaborate with each other, and get involved in the community. Combining efforts with other community organizations across shared issues is a very effective way to create positive change. We also actively seek partnerships for larger scale projects such as improving our streetscape.
If you’d like to learn more about the Heart of Orléans BIA and how it works, here is our BIA Backgrounder.